Travelling with your pet

Travelling with your pet

You may be considering taking your pet on holiday with you. The Government’s Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) have brought in some relatively new guidelines for doing this since Brexit in2020. The changes apply to travel to Europe.

If you want to take your pet to a non-European country, you will need to find out what the destination country requires. To begin this process you should visit

Taking your Pet to Europe

This is a more straightforward process but still requires some planning in advance. Your pet will require an Animal Health Certificate (AHC), the details of which will depend on which country you will first enter the EU at. The AHC will cover your pet’s exit from the UK and also the entry back to the UK as long as the period of travel does not exceed FOUR MONTHS.

The first step is to ensure that your pet is microchipped and registered to your own details. After this, your pet must be vaccinated against RABIES and will not be able to travel abroad until 21 days have elapsed after the vaccination. There is no need for blood testing for antibody levels to Rabies (for travel within Europe).

Your pet’s vaccination card must be updated and signed (by any of our vets).

Once these steps have been taken, you will need to fill out our ‘UK to EU Pet Travel Form’ which can be downloaded below. This completed form will then need to be returned to one of our practices or emailed to us. We will also require your pet’s vaccination card for a short time before the AHC appointment.

At this point, you can book your appointment to have the AHC completed and signed by one of our two vets who have the relevant qualification to do so. Our reception staff will help you to do this. It is very important that the owner of the pet whose details are on the UK to EU Pet Travel Form attends the AHC appointment. This appointment cannot be BEFORE the 21 days have elapsed after the rabies vaccination.

Please find below a summary of the AHC application process (Advice for Travelling in the EU after Brexit).

Anti-Parasitic Treatments For EU travel

Apart from Rabies, there are some other exotic diseases that your pet could come across while abroad. We recommend that you speak to one of our vets well in advance of your travel date so that you can be as prepared and comfortable as possible with the risks.